Chimney Fire Safety Advice
While we have all enjoyed the hot summer months it’s time for the shorter cooler days. Some of you may be excited to get your fire or log burner going, making up for the damper weather and especially as it could be cheaper than having your radiators on. However, before you light your kindling first think about if your chimney is fit and ready.
This blog will discuss the importance of checking that your chimney is ready and raring to go for your autumn and soon-to-be winter fires. As well as what steps should be taken to reduce the risks of chimney fires and to ensure you enjoy the warming glow from your fire this autumn.
According to research, there are around 6,000 chimney fires each year in England, and experts say most of these could have been prevented if the proper rules and regulations were followed.
Follow these next steps to ensure you can enjoy a warm and safe autumn and winter!
You need to have your chimney swept, although this may sound old-fashioned, not having your chimney swept is one of the main causes of chimney fires. An unswept chimney could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, this is due to the gases from the fire not being removed properly. Therefore, ensure that you hire a certified chimney sweeper regularly.
General cleaning is another point to bear in mind, your fireplace and log burner should be cleaned and emptied regularly and safely. Ensuring no ash is dropped during this process, as they could still be embers burning. As well as this, make sure your fire's air vents are clear, meaning nothing can block the fire's air supply.
Make sure to have smoke alarms on each level of your home, allowing you to be alerted early of any signs of a fire.
Use the Correct Materials
When purchasing your fire materials make sure you use the correct fuels and make certain the logs you use are well-seasoned. This is to reduce the risks of sparks.
As well as fire materials, it's important to have the correct materials surrounding your fire, such as a fire guard. Especially if you have pets or children within the home.
If you enjoy this article, why not head to our blog page for more on fire safety?